Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The State of Kansas and Its Clueless Politics

Let me preface this with I am a Native Texan. I have had the privilege to live all over the world in places such as Singapore and Mexico City. I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday but I think that the elected officials in Kansas not only fell off of the turnip truck but the truck then ran over them.

I realize that everyone has their price. I know that politicians all have their own agenda and being the voice of their constituents is very low on their radar.

Kansas has a capitol building full of fools and yes, I did cast my vote for one of them Greg Smith. I voted for him because he is/was a school teacher. I thought that he would be a great advocate for our failing school system. WRONG!! He is one of the biggest idiots right there with Gov. Sam Brownback the leader of Brownbackistan.

Greg Smith is a big failure as a voice of the people - http://midwestdemocracy.com/candidates/greg-smith/ he went in with his own agenda, don't they all, and has proposed several pieces of legislation that would benefit only him. Such as the bit on politicians being able to return to their same job at the same pay. There is already FMLA but Greg Smith choose to be in KS politics and it is not like he would have a hard time finding a teaching position, if he is any good at his job.

Smith ran on the pity vote. Several years ago one of his daughters was abducted and murdered. My youngest daughter had many classes with her. He actually used his deceased daughter's image and story on his mailings as well as the fact that he was a school teacher. He failed to mention that he has no interest in education in Kansas.

Lance Kinzer, my other 'voice' in Topeka did not get my vote. He and I had a very disturbing conversation on my front porch on day and he is no better than Brownback.

So what are some of the topics up for discussion this legislative session in the land of ugh?

How about making fitness centers tax exempt? This state is drowning in debt due to a governor who has his own agenda but this is an actual proposed bill. http://hutchnews.com/Editorialblogs/edit--YMCA-bill The YMCA is tax exempt because they are a religious affiliated entity (I think these folks should be taxed along with everyone else) and now we have Senate Bill 72 which if passed would hit the state coffers with millions in lost tax revenue.

Please keep in mind, the same senate that is even considering this bill has voted to eliminate tax deductions and exemptions for middle class citizens.

Then we have HB 2069 - http://www.workingkansans.com/2013/03/hb-2069-brownback-and-crosslands-attempt-to-suppress-wages-in-kansas/ this is a real joke and you need to read the full story to see the humor, she says sarcastically.

With all this going on who in their right mind would want to move to this hell hole? There are a couple of decent school districts who manage to get by on the little money they receive. The cost of living used to be reasonable but that too is changing as home values drop. The politics is so backwards it is running in reverse. If I could get hubby to move I would be out of here in a heartbeat but he was born and raised here and not interested in moving. If this state were so grand then why are cities giving land away? States that are on the ball do not give their land away but then once again the folks in Topeka are so out of touch they most likely are not aware of this. One would think that the elected officials from these free land areas would be doing anything and everything to make Kansas attractive to big business (most big businesses do have tax abatements) and families.

Basically, I feel like Kansans are getting screwed by our elected officials on a national and state level. If my health was not so bad I would run for office. My high school civics class taught me that the people who sit in these positions are to be the voice of the people who elected them. All that I see are self-serving idiots with no regard for the little people.

Thank goodness this legislative session is almost over but in the end my family will probably qualify for state aid and you bet your ass I am going to apply. After I qualify my home as a fitness center.

No comments: