Monday, June 25, 2007

A Sweet Memory Floods Back

I lived in Singapore for a few years when I was a teen, and on tonight's Anthony Bourdain No Reservations Travel channel show... he was in Malaysia. For those of you not up on geography, Singapore is at the southern tip of Malaysia so we made many trips up to Kuala Lampur, Penang and a little resort that I can't remember the name of.

But I do remember the food. We ate in nice restaurants with our parent's but us kids ate at the 'stalls' these are little street restaurants more or less. A bunch of folks cooking just about anything you can imagine and I loved and ate it all. We drank rice wine... homemade and toxic. I don't know if there was a drinking age or not over there? We got served and it went well with our mish-mash of luscious food.

I still have an Indonesian curved blade jungle knife from living over there as well as many fond memories of the people the places and the food.

No comments: