Friday, December 29, 2006

I am going to quit smoking... Jump Aboard


I decided the other day that I am going to quit smoking on Jan. 1, 2007. I am pretty nervous about this decision too.
Only once before have I attempted to give up cigarettes and that was several years ago. I had my Wellbutrin (to kill the craving and save my sanity) and some little faux cigarette looking things to help the hand to mouth fixation. I was set. My mind was made up.
All went well for the first 3 weeks and then the holiday season crept up on me. You can read my previous posts for my thoughts on the holidays. The stress began piling up and I was around my mom who smokes like a chimney. She was not supportive of my decision. She may have been supportive but she did not offer encouragement nor did anyone else in my family.
I am not one for pats on the back and lots of "way to go" bs. I do what I do because I enjoy doing it and I also try to make a difference each day that I am on this earth, not for back pats. But giving up a 30 year habit deserves a "thata girl" everyonce in a while. I failed anyway. It didn't take and the pills made me bonkers.
This time I am not using pharmaceuticals I will get some nicotine gum and cross my fingers. I will not count on encouragement from my family (not even my husband who has bitched for 20 years about my smoking). I am doing this for me, I will get selfish about the whole ordeal.
This is for me, I want this. I will take my weekly cigarette money and stash it away for a nice trip. I know it will not be easy and I am prepared for that but I have to do it and I can do it.

No comments: