Monday, May 01, 2006

Reality TV....The Loser Women of Orange County

I remember the good old days when reality TV consisted of Survivor and America's Most Wanted, it wasn't so bad. I enjoyed Survivor mainly because I would squint my eyes and envision myself laying under the palm trees reading a good book on whatever island they happened to be on. Of course I had plenty to eat, lots to drink and a nice tanned, muscular guy catering to my every whim.

In truth no reality television was the ultimate... ya see, I don't really like people all that much. I find the majority of folks to be rude, self-centered and out for themselves. These are traits that I abhor and they come out in force in reality TV.



I work from home so the radio is on more than the TV during the day, but the other day I was tired of listening to the crap about immigrants, the songs were on their 3rd go round, classical didn't suit me at the moment and I don't do sports radio at all so I flipped on the TV. A show came on "The Real Housewives of Orange County." A woman was picking her child up from "juvie", another just got diagnosed for the 5th time with melanoma, 1 chippie is "engaged" to a man named ... I don't remember but it sounded like something out of a bad western but she's out partying instead of home taking care of his kids from a previous marriage so he is breaking up with her and there are a couple of other women.

I ended up watching, more or less, a few episodes of this pathetic show and it went from bad to worse. I could not believe the waste, the excess, the mistreatment and negligence of the children. The one attempt at volunteering was actually self-serving. It was all so sad

I realize that this is mostly scripted, edited, cut and re-cut. But truth is still revealed and their truth is sad. It is my hope that these folks get a reality check and soon. Maybe a huge earthquake will come along and drop California off into the depths of the ocean.

These people are breeding a generation as self-centered and wasteful as themselves. I don't think that folks like this contribute anything of any significance to this society.

If we are going to continue with reality television we need to demand that it serve the greater good. America's Most Wanted does just that, they take criminals off the street which makes us all safer. But pampered, over spending women in a gated community does nothing but inflame my anger.... send their day spa asses to Dufar.

2 comments:

Guvnah said...

Well you are bashing this show pretty hard......Did you see the last episode? The ladies got together and talked about how bad the show made them all look and that their children weren't REALLY that self centered.....whatever right? I kinda liked it truely I my boyfriend and I got several laughs out of it.....it did give a false sense of reality though have to admit......in truth I thought I was the only person besides my fella that was even watchin it!

Anonymous said...

Interesting that I should randomly read your blog. Just today I visited my son now at university in another part of California. He lived in Orange County all of his life until he went away to this place about a year ago.

He absolutely hates the OC now. I have been fortunate to move away too just a few months ago. I was there last week for a business trip and I've been gone long enough now it really smacked me in the face how self indulgent it really is.