Thursday, August 03, 2006

I Am Exhausted

My brain is mush. My body feels like lead. My arms and legs have ceased to function. I'm not even sure what day it is.

I am keeping my 5 year-old granddaughter while my daughter is on vacation. She has been here since Tuesday night.

She is a good child, she minds and is not a problem other than she is a very busy 5 year-old. I on the other hand, am not used to having a wee one around. Why don't kids walk? They run everywhere. If they aren't running they are skipping or hopping.

I work from home so my days are pretty well laid back and easy. I work until 1 a.m., sleep till 8:30 a.m., drink coffee and read the newspaper for a bit, do my yoga, walk the dogs and then start my day.

Not so the last couple of days. I hit the ground running at 6:30 a.m. and this is after sharing a bed with her all night. She sleeps like a lamb while I listen for her every breathe which means that I sleep for about 4 hours.

They eat so much at this age. I spent $106 at the grocery store yesterday on lunchables and gobs of junk food. I know, they aren't supposed to eat this stuff but hey, I'm Granny, and it's okay for a few days. She can go back to eggplant and tofu when she goes back home. Yes, my daughter feeds her these things and she happily eats them. I feed her mac and cheees from a box and ramen noodles. Right now she is sitting with a bag of Cheetos and a glass of milk and it is only 10:00 a.m. For breakfast we both had chocolate fudge pop tarts, she had milk and I had coffee through an IV.

I have raised 2 children and fostered an infant for a year and don't remember being this worn out but of course that was several years ago. I am 46 and my youngest daughter will be 18 in a few weeks.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I need a nap..... that's one thing they don't do at 5 years-old.

No comments: