Friday, July 21, 2006

It Has Been Hot... But I Love It!!!



This painting is "A Glass of Lemonade" 1655-60Oil on canvas transferred from panel, 67 x 54 cmThe Hermitage, St. Petersburg. The young woman depicted in the painting is Gesina Ter Borch, the artist's sister, while the young man is his brother Moses.

--------------------------------------------------------

It has been hot but of course it is July, summertime, it is supposed to be hot. These past 5 days here in Kansas the temperature has been at 100 degrees and over. Our heat index has been around 110.

I adore the heat. One can always cool off with the garden hose while watering the flowers or take a cold shower when you come back in the house. But the cold is a whole different matter with me, once I get cold I do not warm up again until the temp is at least 70 degrees again.

It is always so sad to me to read about the elderly who pass away from the heat. There is always a mad rush to get air conditioners and fans into the homes of these folks at a time when the temp is at such a dangerous level. Why don't these folks plan ahead and get these items distributed at the beginning of the season? We go through this every year, excessive heat in Kansas is not an unusual thing.

I don't mean this to sound like I am putting down anyone for doing good in the community. I am a huge advocate for community volunteer efforts.... I have been a community most of my adult life. But to me this is like feeding the hungry only during the holidays. People need to eat year-round and they need to stay cool all summer.

So, if you have elderly or infirmed folks living in your neighborhood please check on them and make sure that they are staying cool and have food. If you need to bring them into your home for this to happen so be it. If that is not a possibility then go the the store and purchase fans and food for them and check on them often.

We have to pitch in and take care of each other.

No comments: